2011년 11월 29일 화요일

North & South, BBC in 2004

It's a strange courtship which flowers only at the last moment...

     I saw this drama after I heard someone said "North and South is 19C version of Pride and Prejudice."  But they did not say North and South is a darker work than Pride and Prejudice. Moreover, it show situations in the Industrial Revolution in England in addition to love story.


    Margaret is a privileged, middle class southerner who is forced to settle in the northern town of Milton.  She becomes terribly lonely and hates the dirt, noise and lack of civilisation.  Her distaste for the town and its people extends to handsome and charismatic cotton mill owner John Thornton whom she believes epitomises everything she dislikes about the North.
    However, Margaret gradually begins to settle in Milton. She was learning about poverty of local mill workers and workplace struggles.




   As events conspire to throw Margaret and Thornton together, the two spirited characters have to overcome their repressed physical attraction for one another and conquer prejudices of class and circumstance.

   Actually, I do not read the original novel so I have to allow to get away with the improbable development about their love. Thornton proposed after just meeting her a few. In this drama, details about his emotions are not enough to explain why he did in my thought.  Or did'nt I notice because I am not a men?


   I think Margaret is too good for Thornton because he is curt and cold like the season, winter, in the setting of drama.  I don't like such a man. 



   Even though this drama is quite gloomy all the time, the reason I like it is beautiful scenes. The contrast of white and black is very impressive.
   If you want to see a love story, coloful scenes and even the knowledge of history about the Industrial Revolution en England, you should watch North & South  BBC drama.






official site

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기